Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Like

There are a few different ways to use the word "like." The most common expresses a desire for something or someone: She likes ice cream. We like to go to the zoo. I like working on my website. Notice that "like" can be followed by an infinitive or a gerund.

"Like" is also used when making a comparison or a description: A bratwurst is like a sausage. He's like a brother to me. / What does it taste like? It tastes like chicken.

There's one more really important use for "like" in American English. Many people here use it in conversation, but it doesn't really have much of a meaning. It's similar to "uhh" and "you know" which also don't have any real meaning: I was, like, so tired last night I couldn't stay awake. This is, like, really easy. (In this application, "like" is often used after the verb "be.") I don't recommend the use of "like" in this manner, but if you talk to a lot of young Americans, in particular, it's important to know about. �

No comments: