Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More examples of infinitives

I often have to remind my students that infinitives are very useful because they can help explain why someone does something. Look at this sentence:

I'm going to go to the store to get some milk.

Why am I going to go to the store? To get some milk.

I think the problem for many students is that they see the word "to" in so many different places, it causes some confusion. In the first part of that sentence, there's the "going to" future in which the main verb is "go." Then there's a prepositional phrase, "to the store." Finally, the infinitive explains my reason for going to the store. Look at the sentence again:

I'm going to go to the store to get some milk.

Clearly there are three different ways in which the word "to" gets used. Here are a few more examples of sentences that use infinitives in the same manner?

She has to drive to Iowa to see her mother.

They walked outside to get some fresh air.

The students stayed after class to ask their teacher some questions. �

No comments: