Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Direct and Indirect Quotations

Today's lesson is on direct and indirect quotations. I'd like to use the words of a student who wrote to me yesterday to demonstrate how to change the words actually spoken or written by someone into words that are described by another person.

--------------------

From Humoud, an online student:

"I have taken a look at your video lessons. They are fantastic and perfect. But I have a simple suggestion I hope you consider when you explain verb tenses. You didn't mention why we use these tenses." (Hamoud's exact words)

Hamoud said that he had taken a look at my video lessons. He said that they were fantastic. (Thanks!!) However, he had a suggestion for me. He hoped that I would consider explaining why verb tenses are used. (My description of what he said)

--------------------

Of course, I changed a few words here and there, but did you notice how the verbs changed as well? This is something that speakers of English do naturally, and it's a very good thing to learn, because we are all put in the position at one time or another of having to describe what someone else said. �

No comments: