Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Trip to the Farmers Market in Minneapolis

This is a short video of a recent visit to the Farmers Market in Minneapolis. A written transcript follows the video, so if you want to read and listen at the same time, you may do that. There's just a small difference in the transcript between what you hear and what you read, of course, because spoken American English is full of little mistakes and we often run our words together--even I do do that! Also, when I'm speaking with the farmer, he's helping his customers at the same time, so you'll hear him say "thank-you" a few times to people off screen, and he tells someone the price of some cilantro while talking with me.


Click here for the transcript.

It's interesting to note that the farmer I'm speaking with was born in the United States, but his family is from Laos, so he's a first generation American. He's bilingual in two cultures and two languages. Immigrant families can adapt very quickly here, but I think those who come here as adults have the hardest time adjusting to their new lives. I'm sure the parents of the young man featured in this video are very proud of their son.

No comments: