Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Passive Voice -- Past Tense

Today's lesson is on using the passive voice in the past tense. Remember that the verb "be" determines the tense, so you have just two choices: "was" and "were," depending on the subject.

A tornado was reported in the area just an hour ago.

We were given one hour to take the test.

She was saddened by the bad news.

I was taught to say "please" and "thank-you" by my mother.

Well, it's only February, but it's time to start planning for the planting season coming up in April. Many of you who know me know that I'm a gardener and I like to grow as much of my own food as possible, so it's time to start looking through seed catalogs and make plans to buy seeds and other things for the gardens. This year I'll grow potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, asparagus, basil, cilantro, and carrots. There are some other things that can be added to the list later, but I haven't decided yet what they will be.

Growing your own food is good for the environment and good for your pocketbook! If you do it properly, it's also a rewarding experience in itself because it's so interesting to watch things come up out of the ground. Are you a gardener or a farmer? Tell me what you grow in an email or send me a picture of your garden. �

Sorry I haven't been posting much here. Entries appear every day on the regular blog.

No comments: