Monday, February 9, 2009

The Passive Voice with "get"

One interesting thing about the passive voice is that you can replace the verb "be" with the verb "get." What difference does that make? In my opinion, "get" is a little stronger than "be" and in some cases, its use might be a little more popular. You also must know how "get" changes in various tenses.

get / got / gotten

She gets paid on Friday. (present tense)

Did you get laid off from your job? (past tense question)

Have they gotten the package they were expecting? (present perfect tense)

My wallet will get stolen if I leave it in my car. (future tense)

For more practice with "get" in the passive voice, you can go to the Green Level on my website.

I'm now on Facebook. I'm not sure why it's important to be on there, but I put together a page and you should be able to find me under "Learn American English Online."

No comments: